Duke and Meyla

Duke and Meyla

Thursday, August 1, 2019

Party When Dad & Mom Are Gone!

Last winter, Brittany and I talked about talking Rock Creek Road and doing some exploring, trying to follow a trip we took back in 2008. Today seemed like a grand day to do it so we packed a picnic and off we went! 
I was remembering a certain perfect old homestead place where we could stop and have our picnic-I never did find that place and am thinking maybe it was this first place we saw, but this isn't quite what I remembered. 
And ol Roscoe, who evidently owns most of Rock Creek, was being hostile, as is seen by that orange sign, and told us we couldn't trespass. It looks like we could just call the number on the sign and get permission to snoop around a bit though. There is no service down there so those phone numbers on those signs did us no good at the time. 


So we drove and drove, looking for a place to have a picnic. At one point we hopped out and picked a few blackberries, thinking they'd go great with our lemonade. 
We were having a lot of trouble finding a shady place to have a picnic, and found this old school house out in the boonies. Again, threats were plentiful so we didn't stop there either. 


Another old place.


They are putting in a ton more wind turbines up on Hoctor Rd. I should have taken a shot of how many there were right before we headed back into the valley, because it is a lot. 


After 2.5 hours we found a somewhat large, quite modern looking homestead place and rolled out our picnic supplies in the shade of a scrawny maple tree in the lawn. The food was delish!


The blackberry lemonade was delicious too! 


We had a fine day, and would like to go back to explore some more and pick some more of those plentiful blackberries. 


In other news, I sold Flint! He goes to Indiana next week. A couple months back I had decided that once I sold Flint I could buy a violin. That violin came today. 😄


3 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun day! I like exploring.

    Do you know how to play a violin or are you going to learn how to play? I would love to learn to play the violin someday..someday, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know nothing about violins, LOL. Got some tunes squeaked out of it today, and when I put it away after about an hour of practicing, my neck didn’t want to straighten back out! It’s gonna take some getting used to, for sure.
      Disappointed I didn’t make it down for the wedding! :(

      Delete
  2. Well, at least you found a "homey" place for your picnic in the end ;)
    Good trade, Flint for violin!

    ReplyDelete