Duke and Meyla

Duke and Meyla

Saturday, November 17, 2018

My Favorite Subject, Once More...

Well, I said I'd have goat ultrasound pictures this week. I was wrong-I have zero. We've been trying to find kids for a week and a half now, but to no avail. Last year we were counting kids with reasonable accuracy at 25 days gestation, and as of this morning, I still can't find kids on a doe that is 33 days along. We have 5 does 25+ days along, and nothing. I do think they are pregnant because they should have been back into heat in 21 days if they weren't, and none have come back in. I've fiddled with settings and dials, and finally even found some old pictures from last year to compare the settings on-everything is the same. I don't understand, but I am increasingly frustrated with it! But I will try again next week, with renewed determination and energy!

Anywho... 

All of Amelia's puppies are sold. Three are still here, and will be picked up later. 



Mom was asking for pictures of us for the family calendar. As I am most often behind the camera, and am camera shy around others' cameras, I couldn't find any of myself, except a birthday one. So, I went out and got one with my favorite little dog. 


The picture quality thing I moaned about in the last post just keeps getting worse and worse! The picture below makes me reach for the phone to schedule my eye exam, but when I pull up the photo viewer and put them side by side, the original is a very clear, sharp image. Oh well, I guess I can't complain about the shortcomings of technology, when it's such an incredible thing to have cameras, computers, and internet in the first place. 


Mom made me a liner for the whelping pool. I had a ton of trouble with Kate's puppies getting under the towels and rugs I placed in the bottom of this kiddy pool, and I feared they were going to get smothered. This new system effectively prevents puppies from doing that. I'm all ready for puppies now! (Only 4 weeks early. 😏)


Looky below at my grand little dog! 
Several people have asked what the point of this was, so I shall endeavor to explain. 
You all know how Jinger was injured twice this summer, and what the cause was-pursuing for a bite, instead of a quick bite and getting back to work. This stemmed from not "playing fair" and understanding "pressure and release" as it relates to cows-you push the cows, and once they move, you relax and reward them for moving by giving them space. Jinger figured the cows were hers to do what she wanted with-when they moved, she moved faster. When she went for a bite, it didn't matter if the cow moved away-it was still getting bit, no matter at what cost. So what we are doing here is practicing patience, control, and good biting. She is learning to "hold a gate," meaning that she is only allowed to get after them when they cross the line, in this case, the edge of the barn. She must immediately disengage and NOT pursue the cow out of the barn. The below video speaks for itself, in how this lesson is coming along. 





2 comments: