Duke and Meyla

Duke and Meyla

Monday, June 11, 2018

The Usual


 This week, Aaron brought me to get some frothy Mt. Adams sunset pictures. Unfortunately, I still can't figure out how to run my camera/the camera is a piece of junk, so the trip didn't serve its intended purpose.

We perched on this rocky cliff and waited for the sun to go down.


I did get these two pictures, which I kinda like.



 We sold a bunch of kids a little over a week ago, and already have 20+ gallons of milk in the freezer. Fortunately, I was able to find some dairy bull calves in Trout Lake and picked 3 up just this morning. 


I guess rabbits like mounting blocks too, just like the goats! 


Brittany's baby bunnies.


Her favorite one.


 Mine.



Jinger was terribly food aggressive when I first got her, and we have worked a ton on that, mainly me just feeding all her meals out of my hand. She loses all aggression so I get lazy and start feeding her in a bowl in her kennel, and in a few weeks, it starts to show up again. Last time it showed up was around Memorial Day, when Buck was here, and she would get crusty at protective of her toys around Buck too. With two different aggression things going on at once, and because of past experiences, I started to get worried and decided that if there is anything I can do(within reason, of course) I'm going to do it to prevent Jinger from getting worse or fix what she already has. I scheduled to meet with a dog trainer(obedience, not a stockdog guy) for a consult last week. Long story short, he assured me that I have a good handle on it, keep doing what I'm doing, and just put all toys away when she starts getting aggressive about it. He said she doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body, but that she is just a little greedy with things she calls hers. He liked her focus, drive, friendliness and solid temperament so much that he wanted to know who her breeder was, if I planned on breeding her, and who the future sire would be. 

I sent in some DNA swabs of Jinger for genetic disease testing, so once I get those results I'll know better what to do. The dog I want to breed her to isn't tested for anything, however, he is around 6 years old, so almost anything would have already shown up by now if he was affected. My only worry would be if Jinger is a carrier of anything, because then I have no clue whether or not the male is a carrier. (Two carrier parents will result in some puppies that have the genetic disease, 1 carrier parent means that some puppies will be carriers, but won't actually have the disease. Of course, what is ideal is that both parents are totally clear-not a carrier, and not affected.)


 My new(we already have an Eclipse) Eclipse girl. She is proving to be extremely easy going and friendly, and awful pretty too.


 Last year's bottle brats, Minx, Hassie, and Eclipse.


Sonnet replaced Eclipse for this picture.


The last two of this year's bottle brats, Josephine and Lilac.


 Marion, whom I like for unknown reasons. She isn't the prettiest thing ever(having her ear ripped off didn't help that any), and is pretty noisy, but I really like her anyway.


Old beater, Sadie.


The roses in the back of the house.




Some huge lavender bushes alongside the path. Anyone know how to get the bushes back to small and manageable? 



2 comments: