Duke and Meyla

Duke and Meyla

Monday, June 25, 2018

Bluebelle, Skitz, Bunnies, Jinger, Caffies, and Barn Swallows

I work for the person who bought Skitz and Bluebelle last year. On Saturday, she told me that she was going to have to sell them, so, since one of my jobs is to take care of them anyway, I offered to take them back and sell them for her.  


Mackenzie's litter loves to sleep on top of their nesting box.


I've been eagerly awaiting Spruce's litter, as I only got one live baby out of her this year, and she fostered another litter so I wasn't able to rebreed her very soon. She had a large litter of 9, but lost two. She usually has litters of 4 or 5, so 7 is great!


Good girl Spruce, who practically plucked herself bald for this litter! 
 

I am having a lot of trouble setting up a breeding program with 4-6 very good does, so I went back to Spruce and Tulip's breeder and got a couple more does to hopefully make greater progression in reaching my end goal.

This is a year old doe, Hannah.


This is Hannah's baby, who doesn't yet have a name. 


The "caffies"(I couldn't decide how to spell that word, and don't really like that way-Mom?)
They all tried dying on me last week, but I told them to cut out the nonsense, and after two bottle of electrolytes, each, they got over it. I didn't even have to tube them. Now that they are over the anticipated crisis, they will be moved outside soon.


My last babies of the year. Ain't they pretty? 


They, especially Pippa on the left, sure have the head and ears that I like-they might both have to stay!


Jinger, who was trying to be a feeder today when I was working her. I had to really get on her and back her into the corner a few times, because she just wanted to be wild and crazy(so were the calves, which I'm sure influenced her) and claimed that the wind prevented her from hearing my commands. To be fair, maybe it did, as it is super windy out today.



I got her DNA results back, and she is clear of all prevalent diseases for the Border Collie breed! Breeding plans have begun in earnest, and I'm so excited! I plan to keep a female from her litter. 😀


The barn swallows have 4 nests-three in the little barn, and one in the goat barn. I was hanging over the edge of the loft to get this picture, and when I pulled myself back, all the babies suddenly panicked and vacated the nest in the blink of an eye. 


Some went up above the hay and perched on a rafter, where a naughty cat promptly came racing to grab it. Mean, nasty Dove, leave that helpless baby alone! (She didn't catch it.) 


1 comment:

  1. Ooo, those calves!! You know which is my fave...😍

    ReplyDelete