Duke and Meyla

Duke and Meyla

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Farm Update: August

 A lot of stuff has been going on lately, but I haven't been taking very many pictures of things other than Jinger-hence the majority of the following post being of Jinger.

I'm very relieved that Kate likes Jinger, as she can be very picky about whom she gets along with. 


Jinger testing the waters. She gets awful upset when I go in the water and piles in after me, so I have to take a pool floaty out when I swim, so she can relax a little. I don't know if she just wants to be with me, or if she's concerned for my safety. 


 When I defrosted a freezer, there was a big chunk of ice in the bottom that had some meat juice on it. Kate loved her popsicle that hot afternoon. 


This is Eclipse, an Ebony/Everest doeling that I'm keeping. So far she is a sweet little girl and nothing like her headstrong, aggressive dam.


This is Hassie, a Bunny/Everest doeling. I'm buying her from Mom because I need another doe that I can breed to Mr. Black. Other than the above Eclipse, my four does are all Mr. Black's sisters.

 

Hassie is a very nasty piranha at feeding time, but is a monkey otherwise, and loves hanging out in the mineral feeders.


One night Mom texted me and said all the baby girls were out. Fortunately, they only broke out of their little pen and not the main pen. They were just running, playing, and eating weeds. They got out a different way yesterday, but got caught in the new pen we are building(see further down in post), and were easy to put back home. 



That heifer had a calf last week. It's a small bull. Unfortunately, I can no longer work Kate as Mama is, understandably, too protective for a young dog who lacks confidence like Kate, to work safely. That means she'll probably not work them again until spring. By the time this cow gets moved, the fall rains will probably have come and the pen turned into the normal slop mess. I guess she's gonna have to learn the herd the goats and bottle calves. 


This is the new pen we are almost done building. It's in the old horse area, and will be our buck/bottle calf pen when finished. Should be a nice size for working Kate...


  My last hatching of ducklings which disappointed me by only producing 7 out of almost 40 eggs. I'm gonna need to mess with my incubator settings if I try again.


This little guy squeezed out a little hole in the brooder and into the main chicken pen when he was 2 days old. He got badly injured and remains deformed. He's a lot smaller than the others, but otherwise doing great so far. Even though I referred to it as a male, I don't actually know what gender it is. If it's a male, it'll be culled, and if a female and is able to take care of itself, I'll keep it.


Some of the does. Almost time for (early) fall breeding-I'm already envisioning and anticipating the kids next spring!  


Kate looking lazy because it's so hot. 


A fellow goat breeder recently told me about a feed store up in Sunnyside that has grain for $11.50 per 50#, vs the $21.99 per 50# that we get anywhere nearby. It's very nearly the same exact nutrition and ingredients. It's easy to get enough bags to cover mileage and time expenses with the savings, so I have now switched to that. I'm very thankful for the recommendation. 


Brittany's rabbit had babies a couple of weeks ago. Her sister, my rabbit Spruce, is due this Saturday.


Jinger's growth chart. She has gained almost four pounds since I've had her, and her ears are starting to stand!
 

Look closely at her left(your right) eye and see that evil twinkle in it. Yeah, that illustrates how the last month has been. Just kidding, she's the best puppy I've had yet, though really crazy and tough. Mom says it's because I've learned to relax a little and not to expect so much from a puppy. 


 Working on self control. She is so incredibly smart, but I'm not doing a ton of training with her yet. Argh, I forgot to upload the videos! I'll post a link to her playlist on my channel you can keep updated on it. 
That playlist is for the "fun" side of raising Jinger. I'm starting another channel where I will post educational videos.
  

She's also getting better and better at waiting until I give her the cue before running out her cage door. So good, in fact, that when she has a leash on, she won't cross the threshold, in or out, even if I tug on the leash. I have to tell her "alright" and then she'll scramble out and race away. 




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to post, Kailey! You have a lot going on! A couple days ago, I was watching some of the videos you posted of Jinger; she is very entertaining - especially when she "helped" you sweep the milk room!
    Alayna

    ReplyDelete