Duke and Meyla

Duke and Meyla

Friday, October 2, 2015

Cheat Grass and Goats

Cheat grass seeds are terrible. It is so called, because as Laura Ingalls Wilder said, "....in the spring it is wonderful lush grass, and then later, it dries up and get barbed seeds that burrow in a cattle's mouth and sheep's wool."
We always have trouble with it getting stuck in our goat's and dog's bodies. (Duke was in the vet three times in six months for it in his ears. The last time, I asked if I could just take it out-to avoid the bill-and was allowed to, and was also invited to use her instruments anytime I needed. Whoot!)
Anyway, the first time (and the worst) it happened, it was Sari #2, who got it in her eye. It looked terrible and I wasn't sure if her eye was permanently damaged or not. 


 She healed up just fine.

Last year, I plucked it out of three eyes, and Elsie got it in her mouth. I was not able to remove it, and it just formed a hard abscess. Anyway, kind of a bad time of year to do this post, when the cheat grass season is almost over, but thought I would anyway. Keep and eye out animal people!

No comments:

Post a Comment