Duke and Meyla

Duke and Meyla

Saturday, December 5, 2020

Reintroducing the Goats

Since goats are not the main highlight of my blog anymore, I could probably get away with saying introduction as most of you likely don't remember any of them for me to be able to reintroduce them to you. Anywho... 

This is my new buck, Lance. I had no intention nor reason to buy a buck, but when a friend told me she was thinking about buying him and I started looking at his pedigree, I was very intrigued. Combine that with the fact that he's solid black, and I was sold. That friend and I went 50/50 on him. I have him this fall, and then she'll take him for breeding next fall. 


Eclipse, who is my favorite doe right now. She's a sweetie and is wonderful to milk. According to Valerie, her milk tastes delicious as well. (Valerie, is Chad gonna drink goat milk when you start getting it again in the spring??)

Eclipse is bred to an AI buck, Aizumi. The kids will be full siblings to Pavi, who you'll see below. It looked like twins on the ultrasound. 


Bluebelle, who is my oldest doe. She's not friendly, but she's the quietest, calmest, and when you catch her to pet her, she's the sweetest doe I have. She's a granddaughter of Desi, who several of you might remember-she has been around a long time. Sadly, all good things come to an end, and she is no longer here. Desi was the last remaining animal that has been on my blog since its genesis. This blog has chronicled a lot of change, for sure...

Bluebelle also settled via AI, and was bred to two bucks-Aizumi and Abraham. I'll have to DNA her kids. Looked like twins for her, too.


Pippa is a daughter of Eclipse and a buck named Richy. She's wild and unfriendly, but when she's caught you can do just about absolutely anything to her and she doesn't twitch a muscle, so she's not all bad. It did take her a month to learn to even come into the milk room without an around the pen chase this spring, which was really aggravating. 

She is also AI bred to Aizumi. So she's a maternal half sister to Pavi, bred to Pavi's sire. Should be some nice kids! For some reason I was not able to get the ultrasound to give me a clear picture and I didn't try counting how many kids she's gonna have.


Pavi is, as stated above, a daughter of Eclipse. I put her in the pen with Lance overnight, but he didn't act super interested so to make sure she settled I also AI'd her. I used a buck named Richy, who is Pippa's sire. So if she took to Richy, her kids will be genetic full siblings to Pippa's kids, only with the pedigree in a different order. Super easy to understand, I know. πŸ˜‚ 
Pavi was too early to count the number of kids on ultrasound.


I'll have to introduce these next 3 does as kids, since they are in your lap bottle babies and I wasn't able to get pictures of them. 

This is Rosa. She is a daughter of Bluebelle and Ace and is Bluebelle's first doe kid! 
She has all the sweetness of her mom, and being bottle raised, is also extremely friendly. 
She was bred to Lance and ultrasound showed triplets!


This is Penny. She is a daughter of Eclipse and a buck named Freelance. Now, I don't know how many goat friends are still reading my blog, but if you're out there, you can understand why I'm so excited to get some Freelance kids! I have high hopes for Penny and her sister! 

Penny was bred to Lance 3 weeks ago, and it's too early to ultrasound her to confirm. 


Lassie is Penny's twin sister. I personally like Penny the better of the two, but Lassie is Valerie's personal favorite. They both have the lovely temperaments that Eclipse tends to throw in the majority of her kids. 

Lassie was bred to Lance, and has been confirmed by ultrasound, but it was too early to count the number. 



I was finally able to build Ace a proper pen with the leftover panels from the old horse pen. He better not jump out of this one. 


Ha, you thought you were gonna get through a post without seeing a dog? Think again! 

 
Pavi


Lassie, Eclipse, Bluebelle, Pippa and Clare.


Lassie and Rosa. 


My kind of black Friday shopping haul. 






 

10 comments:

  1. He says no. πŸ˜‚

    Hey, what about Nellie? 😁

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for introducing us to your family, I mean 🐐.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kailey! It was good to see all of the girls again :). I have been missing them! Just curious, did you sell Caddie and Hetty? I was just wondering, as I think that Hetty is the cutest baby you've ever had! Sultan sure throws cool colors!
    -Kryssa Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did end up selling both. We sold Caddie because Hetty was the better one of the two, but after Herty kidded it turned out her udder wasn’t quite as good as it should have been. πŸ™

      Delete
  4. Hey! Glad you're still blogging, Kailey. I always enjoy reading your goat posts. �� If you keep posting, I'll comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please update... we miss your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kailey,

    Your most loyal reader is still hoping you'll return to the blogging world.

    Sincerely,

    You-know-who

    ReplyDelete