Duke and Meyla

Duke and Meyla

Thursday, March 21, 2019

Wonderful Kidding Season, Calves, Cowdog, and Pannukakku.

 Eclipse had our first AI kids of the year, on Saturday! Two does and a buck, with a quick, textbook delivery. 

   
After an all day labor and me threatening to come in and pull the kids out, Minx easily delivered buck/doe twins last night! The doe looks exactly like her, minus one small detail: her white patch on the rib cage is on the opposite side.



Pixie. She will be staying here! 


Bruno


Eclipse's kids are the next three.
Creme Brulee


Kaapo. He has wattles!


Carmelita. She has wattles too!


And then Sonnet's three.
Zia


Kona


Whidbey, an extremely pretty little buck! 


Minxie #2, AKA Pixie.


Felix is getting big!


Eclipse and her triplets.


And Sonnet and hers. 


Bunny, Desi, and Simcoe enjoying some beet greens.


In terms of easy deliveries, vigorous kids, and a good doe:buck ratio, this year, so far, has been maybe the best kidding season we've had. One strong point of accomplishment is based in the fact that we have had to give no selenium to kids yet. We've struggled so long to find a good mineral that works for us, and I think we've finally found the best mineral that we are going to find.

Now that everyone has started kidding and we will be getting extra milk soon, Brittany and I went and got some bottle calves today. 



This pretty red one wouldn't behave for his picture. 


"When do I get to bite them?" Not for a long time yet, Jinge. 


Lazy Liz, as she is turning out to be. Not sure if I'm a tad disappointed, because I like the more fiery ones, or if I'm relieved because Jinger is enough fire for one person's life!


My current pack, with Flint still being in isolation.


When I first got Kate, one of the main things I wanted to be able to do with her, was to clean the cow barn with no additional human help. (Those of you who have cleaned our cow barn know why that additional human was always needed.) After a few trials runs with my directing Jinger and someone else cleaning the barn, today I finally cleaned the barn with Jinger holding the cows back for me. Brittany was in the barn butchering rabbits, so I asked her to keep half an eye out in case things went south and Jinger brought the cows instead of driving them away, but no such thing happened. I'm very proud of my little dog! 



She likes to ride in the bucket for some reason, so I'm happy to oblige. (I'm sick of her barking in her kennel, so I've put the shock collar on her, in case you were wondering.)


Finally, I have remembered to post the Pannukakku recipe for the few of you who asked for it! I can't guarantee any results, as Eric & Chad claimed they added some secret ingredients after I left the kitchen-I  personally suspect those ingredients were sweetness and love. 😉


3 comments:

  1. Great job Jinge!!

    Cute pic of Jasper, Jinge, and Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun with all the kids and calves!
    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay--you used Kaapo!
    I like Whidbey's stark contrast.

    ReplyDelete