Duke and Meyla

Duke and Meyla

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

*Guest Post* Finland Trip 4/5



We got done with our hike and headed to this B&B? Not sure- it was nice and quiet anyway. Had supper and then all the others headed to the beach while I got some much needed quiet time. :)

The next morning(Thursday), we stopped at a fishing pier and checked out the waters. The tide was out every time we were near the water but it was still very pretty.






Us at the beach- the weather clearly wasn't as nice this day. Thankfully, we were mostly traveling home all day anyway.

This beach was glittery! Even after I got all the sand off, my feet were covered in glitter for the rest of the day!

 That blue, blue, water.....

Later in the day, we stopped for lunch at a nice restaurant near this pretty waterfall.

 Some wildflowers I saw a lot of.

 Interesting facts about the surrounding area. A lot of it was developed during the war for the army.

 Another sod roof- this one with trees! This was where we were going to see another waterfall. We arrived and found out it was another trek. It was wet and rainy besides so we skipped it.

This is mostly for Kailey- at the same place while we waited, there was a group of young kids that had camped somewhere along the trail. Two of them had brought their pack dogs along. This one decided to be naughty and ran a few circles around our van before the owner was finally able to catch him!

 Some more pretty water/rapids.

We learned a few new card games along the way to help pass the time in the van- it took a bit to explain even though the Finns with us had very good English!

Our cute little cabins by the lake Thursday night.


 This was the shower/bathroom building at the same campground. No shoes allowed past the line! There were some Crocs to the side you could borrow while in there but I figured that was more gross than no shoes. :)

 Photo of a rainbow the next morning (Friday) before leaving. Red is a very popular color for most any building in Finland and Norway for sure. I thought they were extra pretty against all the green!


 Stopped for a lunch buffet at a hotel and saw this poster- I was really interested but unfortunately, the tour took two hours which we didn't have time for.

 Some excitement later that afternoon- flat tire! Thankfully, the men had it all under control and got it changed in no time.

We happened to pull over near this scenic river. Once the tire was changed, we headed out for a short walk.

 There were two different suspension bridges- one was a bit higher. We tried to race back but it is extremely hard to run on these bridges!

 Humungous candy store in Umea. There was more to the wall on the right and another wall behind me! Boy, was it good. :)

I also purchased some snus at the store- pretty sure that was my first ever purchase so I had to document it. :)

 We took the ferry from Umea to Vasa. First time being on a large ferry. Unfortunately, the waves were quite large and you could really feel it. I was nervous as I get car/sea sick but I was able to distract myself and was okay.

Delicious food aboard the ferry. This may have been my favorite meal of the whole trip. Minus the salad- I still can't get used to the idea of no dressing.

 It was too windy and cold for me outside so Jeff got a few photos of the sunset while I watched from inside and guarded everyone's belongings.




We got home from our road trip early Saturday morning (1 am) and took it easy the next day. I went to try my hand at milking the sheep (that was a fail). But I must admit, those Crocs are pretty handy to slip on for a quick jaunt outside. Might have to invest in some....

 Ronnie's cute baby sheep- they might even be cuter than baby goats!

 Had to try out Friends and Burgers for supper Saturday night. It was delicious!

Made a short, cold stop at Faboda after supper.



On Sunday, we went to the local prayer house for church at 2 pm. That's a normal time for church here. Ronnie translated for Jeff and I- he did a great job. After church, a few people actually visited for a few minutes! Everyone else was cleared out of the parking lot in less than 8 minutes. The only reason it took that long is there was a traffic jam getting out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment