Duke and Meyla

Duke and Meyla

Monday, December 18, 2017

Wedding, Dogs, Garden, Goats, etc.


It has been almost a month since I last posted, and that coming right after I was informing a few siblings that I update almost every week these days! I'm doing this blog post to end the drought, but also because I've taken pictures throughout the year that didn't really fit in any blog post, so never got shared. So this blog post is kinda a smorgasbord of pictures from this past year. Several are cell phone pictures so not the greatest quality, but enjoyable nonetheless. 

First off are a couple of wedding pictures, from back in April.

The bridal party. All us sisters are from America, and all the guys are from Finland. (Actually, one moved to Texas last year, so technically he's not from Finland anymore...) 


 Kaia knows how much I scorn kisses yet attempts to give me one anyway-she missed though I had to do a full limbo to escape.


Our whole family.  


The cake. Kaia served in some capacity as the school nurse and had special charge over a diabetic boy-the boy's mother made the cake. Everyone had rave reviews about the cake, and though I was not able to eat any, I feasted my eyes on it. It was pretty and all that lacey stuff was edible and maybe hand made? I don't remember the last part for sure...


Kaia and I eating all the muddy buddies when some of us visited her at her beach job. This picture was not taken this year, but I was reminded of it the other day, because Kaia is back out here. I whipped up a batch of muddy buddies on Friday night, and they were promptly all foundered within 16 hours-we do love muddy buddies!


 I received the news from my goat acquaintance(who is now a very accomplished photographer) that the Pygmy goat she'd gotten from us back in 2012 died recently. Blanket was probably around 10 years old, and was such a sweet goat. 


Back when Jinger was the size of a kitten she loved to tease and play with Kimber. 


One day, a brother of mine decided to put an old mirror in the barn to see what the animals would do. Most didn't care but this rooster absolutely loved it! He would stand for hours, staring at his reflecting like you see below, strut back and forth, preening and cooing. It was hilarious, and he seemed to know that it was himself and boy was he proud of his looks! 


 Li and I on one of our walks last February or so.


Feeding frenzy back in March! Bottle kids are a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. Only 6 weeks left before the first kids come! (As a side note, the first kids this season are sired by the black kid in the below picture-his only kids this year.) 


How many kids can fit in a rubbermaid tote? I don't know the limit, but there are five in this picture!


 Back when I first got Cash he was a skinny, timid shrimp.


Same dog, same kennel, 2 months later. It didn't take long for him to come out of his shell and he just blossomed.  I kinda miss that little dog. 


Cash and Kate. 

 
Kinda gross, but I know of a few of you out there that find pictures like these very interesting. This was a calf we had born(with tons of assistance) last spring. A huge bull calf, 110 pounds, with the deformities that you see. There was a hole right in the middle of his head that is slightly visible in the picture, but might appear like hair. That hole went straight to his brain.


Some of the wonderful berry crop I got from my garden. Yum!

 
Did you know you could get a harrowbed stuck in the mud? Me neither, mainly because it's so dry in the summer it's just not a possibility. Well, it happened for the first time this year, because we had a faucet leaking, which drained into the field. It stuck that harrowbed like nobodies business!


 I want some more of these! Kate only has 2.5 weeks left but she isn't very big, so I'm not expecting very many.
  

Kate and Jinger.


 Often they play in the backyard while I eat breakfast, but other times they rest and guard the door.


 My Jingerbread, as Aubrey called her upon first hearing her name. She's had digestive problems, off and on, ever since I got her and while various tests have ruled out some genetic causes such as EPI and Addison's we still don't know what's going on. It could be that she's just ultra sensitive, or that she has intestinal scarring from coccidia early in life and will never change. Her breeder offered to replace her with her half sister who is the same age. It's a hard decision, but I finally decided that if/when she relapses again I'm gonna do it. I love my Jinger but from a breeding stand point, I don't know what it is and it could be genetic for all I know-we ruled out a few genetic causes, but who knows what else is out there. And it's stressful, never knowing what's gonna make her sick, and when/where she's gonna get sick, so you can't take her anywhere or things like that. Not to mention the accidents in her crate that I have to clean out, etc. Right now she's doing wonderful however, not only do her symptoms commonly wax and wane, she's also on a medication for parasites that is also often used as a lifetime support for dogs with extremely sensitive stomachs, or IBD. So I'm afraid that she will have a bad turn again as soon as the treatment is over... 

 
  
In good news, I officially call our herd a "CAE free herd!" It's been over 6 months since any goats were last exposed, so we are in the clear. 




Well, there you go-I hope you enjoyed the post! I plan to do a Christmas post soon, and I should also have some exciting puppy news just after the New Year! I hope you have fun with your celebrations this Christmas and New Year's Day. We plan to have our family get-together on Friday night, and then have the big get-together with cousins on Saturday. I mentioned above that Kaia is out here-Ronnie and Kaia are visiting from Finland, for Christmas, so that's fun. :) 

Anywho, I need to go do chores before they all commit mutiny because I'm so late. Adios! 


No comments:

Post a Comment