Duke and Meyla

Duke and Meyla

Saturday, October 14, 2017

What's Happened With the Goats In the Last 2 weeks.

We have two does here for breeding. The one on the left is Tullia(now named Maybelle), Desi's first kid from 2012. The other doe is her daughter.

 

 This is how I remember that crazy kid. (She isn't like that anymore, LOL.)


Teeny-tiny(aka Eclipse) somehow thundered her lip all up on Saturday.


The vet put in six stitches and wasn't optimistic that she'd keep that chunk of flesh because the wound was pretty old. So far it's doing good, so I think it'll adhere back down. (Edit: I wrote most of this post on Friday and I'm finishing it on Saturday. Her lip broke open this morning. :( Fortunately, it had partway healed and looks like only a very small piece is going to fall off.)
This is the same vet who told us that Violet had a 10% chance of survival after her c-section. Nothing against him, I really like him, but maybe our goats have better care and are tougher than some of the others he's treated.

 

Her bottom lip got damaged too so she looks really weird, but she should be fine.


We like to have a breeding plan, but it's subject to change up until the moment we open the buck gate, or even until we are positive she'd pregnant. It's not unheard of for us to breed the doe to a different buck if she happens not to settle with the first one. So, we have lots of crossing out and re-writing on our list! 
So far, here's what we've got.
Molly is bred to Black (pregnant)
Marion is bred to Sam, twice(don't know yet)
Sonnet is bred to Black(don't know yet)
Izzy is bred to Sam(don't know yet)
Simcoe is bred to Serrano(don't know yet)


Marion, Simcoe, Sonnet, Desi, Minx and Eclipse were all in heat within a 36 hour period. The bucks went practically crazy and here was the result of a fight between Serrano and Black. The blood is Mr. Black's but somehow he escaped the war paint and put it all on Serrano. Not visible is his beard crusted in it, and his forelegs streaked the full length. I finally had to separate them until they settled down because they weren't stopping.


It seems that most of the content on my blog lately is about Jinger, and you thought you were getting out of it this time, eh? Not so easy, my dear readers! Here is comes, last but not least! LOL! 

Jinger is now 19 weeks and tipped the scale at 20.2 pounds today. At least a pound of it had to be food though. With my last three Border Collies, Riika, Duke(yeah I know, only 50%) and Kate, they've been a little picky and known to turn down a meal, especially the last mentioned. Not this latest thing. Oh, she's crazy! I've never, ever seen her stop eating, no matter how much I give her. I don't dare just let her eat and eat and eat to see what will happen-haven't humans been known to split their stomachs from gorging themselves? I know dogs aren't the same as humans, but I don't see why that couldn't happen. I mostly feed her meat that is given to me from random people, and if I feed it on the bone she can't bolt it. If I ever feed her kibble, (It has to be grain free and not too much of it or she'll get sick. Insert eye-roll emoji) she inhales it and chokes, the dork. 
Speaking of feeding her meat, I've got a story for you. Luke especially, and some of my other siblings have been trying to talk me into to getting a deer tag and coming hunting as the season opened today. Instead, I drove an hour, met someone in a parking lot, and picked up almost 100 pounds of deer meat. The driving time was 2.5 hours, hiking was 12 steps, getting the meat took 3 minutes, and it's already packaged and some is even sausage. I didn't get tired, wet, cold, hungry, have to gut it, pack it out, or anything. Oh, and it was free-only the cost of fuel, which was about $20. Yeah, that's my kind of hunting! But I've run off on a rabbit trail... About Jinger...
Lest any of you think I really don't like her because I like to complain about her, for all her stupidity and other issues, I love her, and she'll outgrow them. (Hopefully)
Bonny got to be a guest at our training party and picture session today. She got her turn with training and loved the video spotlight. Speaking of videos... (check below the picture)


...I started my new channel. I have videos scheduled to display every Wednesday and 2 AM. Kind of an odd time, I know. Who cares. Anyway, videos will range from technical dog training explanations(not too many, because I've not very advanced) to how to butcher a rabbit and everything in between. For some of the topics there will be two parts-one will be a short and basic one, and the other will be more in depth and longer. I am very uncomfortable and unpolished in front of a camera, but I am trying my best and am getting better, I think. I'm not that great at editing either, so videos aren't top notch quality, but I'm hoping that they have top notch quality information. I could say more, but without further ado, here is the link.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_QHO2N4E60G-p46urWwyLA











No comments:

Post a Comment