Duke and Meyla

Duke and Meyla

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

The Guessing Game, Ducks, and Isabelle.

I was informed that it has been almost three weeks since I last updated, so I thought to get a quick post up. 

By now, you may be starting to think that I post a lot of pictures of pregnant does. I have two reasons for doing this. One, I can have a picture record of their progression which is handy to go back and look at. Two(and maybe the real reason), kidding season is the most exciting time of the year, especially the first does who kid, they are both mine, and both very nice does, and one is my first successful AI. 

And I have something fun to do! Guess down in the comments what day each of these two does will kid, what time, how many kids they will have, and what gender(s). The closest guess will get naming rights of a kid! 

Marion is due in 12 days, on February 26th. She is a first timer so I can't tell you much about her. 


 Flicka is due in 11 days, and, at this point, looks like she'll go before Marion. She kidded one day late last year, and had buck/doe twins. 


 My Anconas. Two are drakes and four are hens.


My other ducks. I have three Ancona hens and one drake here. I will be butchering several drakes and the non-ancona hens in a couple of weeks, so I can start hatching pure Ancona eggs as soon as the remaining hens start laying in the spring. I need to buy a new incubator first though, as the one I have went capoot the day after I hatched that last batch of chicks. Talk about close calls!


A goat that we have, Isabelle is Emmy's kid and was dam raised. Emmy is CAE+, so it was very likely that Isabelle would be too. This is the second time we tested her and the second time that she has come up clear! I brought her out of isolation as soon as I got the news.

 

Here she is-she's a really pretty goat, isn't she?


The empty isolation pen. Wahoo! Izzy has been living there since last June, and boy she must be glad to be outside, in the sunshine with the other goats!



Don't forget to place your guesses!

4 comments:

  1. Let's see...... Marion will kid Feb. 27 in the evening and have buck/doe twins. Flicka will have 2 does one buck on Feb. 26 in the morning. Random guesses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will not enter your contest, I already have to name a kid and it's hard enough. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flicka-Sunday the 26th-1 pm. Buck twins.
    Marion-March 1-3 am. Doe/doe/buck trips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I can't help myself; this is fun. Marion: doe/ doe/ buck, March 3rd, 2 AM. (And I promise, I'm not copying!)
    Flicka: doe/ doe, February 27, 5 AM.

    ReplyDelete